Monday, August 27, 2012

Jesus, the ultimate thirst quencher

I remember there used to be ads on TV for Solo softdrink.  It was claimed that it was a fantastic thirst quencher.  But after reading John 4 today, I reckon Jesus gives Solo a run for its money.

John recounts the day when Jesus was travelling through the region of Samaria.  Jesus got pretty tired in the middle of the day, so he took a breather when he got to a well.  A woman from the town came to get some water, and he said, "Can I have some water please?"  Amazingly, he then turns this around, and says, "If you knew who I was, you'd ask me for some water." 

She is gobsmacked.  'Who is this Jewish guy who is talking to me?'  (Jews and Samaritans didn't normally have anything to do with each other)  And, 'is he nuts?!  How is he going to get this water?  He doesn't even have a bucket!'

But Jesus continues, "if you drink the water from this well, you will get thirsty again.  But whoever drinks the water I give them will never ever thirst again.  For the water I will give them will become like a well inside them which wells up into eternal life (v14)."

As I was translating the Greek text of v14 I was struck by the emphatic nature of it.  Whoever comes to Jesus will never ever thirst again.  The strongest possible negation is used.  It also adds another bit at the end 'eternally'/'into the ages/eternity'.  I think it's used as another way to reinforce the strength of the never ever thirst again; that is, not even at any time in all of eternity.

Jesus is the ultimate thirst quencher.  He is the one who will quench your thirst so that you will never be thirsty again.  Far from being just about physical thirst, Jesus is talking about life itself.  Water is life.  The water he gives them will give them life.  Not just life for the here and now, but life lasting eternally.

Jesus is the life giver.  The one who comes to him will get eternal life.  He will never turn them away.  They will never thirst again. 

Tonight I've been thinking a lot about a dear sister who is walking a really tough road right now.  I pray that she will cling to Jesus and keep trusting in him to provide for her, both now and in the future.

But I also pray for me, that in my comfortableness I will still come to Jesus.  That I wouldn't become complacent with the goodness of life at present, but that I would still come to Jesus for the true water and life which satisfies and lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment